Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.thisadventureourlife.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

This Adventure, Our Life: Guest Blogger: Suzanne from One of a Kind

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Guest Blogger: Suzanne from One of a Kind


 Photobucket
 
Today Suzanne joins us from One of a Kind here to share her adventures with cloth diapering.   She has two very handsome boys, one of which is Bailey's little boyfriend :)!  Check out what she has to say about cloth diapering and then hop on over to check out her blog.  We will be wrapping up our cloth diapering series in the next week and you will not want to miss what is to come (hint: a MORE THAN COOL giveaway!). 

How long have you been cloth diapering and how old is(are) your Child(ren)?
I have been cloth diapering since early February, so just under 3 months.  My kids are 27 months and almost 7 months. 

What, if any, were your fears/ misconceptions before cloth diapering?
For me, it was really about the time involved.  It is hard enough to keep up with regular household chores and laundry for four people, I didn't think I could handle the extra work.  

What convinced you that you should cloth diaper?
Having my second baby.  I realized that if I could handle a house, a two year old, and a baby, there was no reason why we couldn't throw in some extra laundry.  And, after using disposables on my first son for two years, I just got so sick of looking at all that trash.  It just felt so wasteful.  

What is your best advice about starting cloth diapering?
Talk to others who are using them.  Try some out before you buy.  I was lucky enough to be able to borrow some from a friend for about a week.  I got to try out different types of diapers on my boys, see what worked best, and found out how easy the process was.  It also showed my hubby (who wasn't so sure about it) that I was serious, and that it wasn't too bad after all).  If you can't try them out, then just talk to anyone who uses them.  Or read some blogs like this one that show you first hand how everything works!  

Were you intimidated? Is there anything that still intimidates you?
Nope, not at all.  Luckily I don't mind dealing with lots of poo!

Why do you prefer cloth diapers over disposables?
So many reasons.... less trash, never having to go to the store for diapers, better for the environment, easier on baby's sensitive skin, and they are just so cute too!  

So far, what’s your favorite brand(s) and why?
I use both Bum Genius One Size diapers and Flips.  I love them both for different reasons.  The BG's are just so easy.  Just stuff them ahead of time, then put them on and go.  Grandparents and dads love them because they  are so simple.  The only downside I think is that they are a bit bulky.  The Flips are great because they are a little more slim fitting.  Also, less laundry because you reuse the cover all day and just change the insert.  They can get messy with poo though.

 
What would you tell someone who is skeptical of cloth diapering?
Just try it!  A lot of websites offer a 30-90 day guarantee so if you don't like it you can return them.  Most likely, you won't! 

What’s the best part about cloth diapering?
I know it's silly, but the best part is how super cute they are.  I have boys, and I don't get to dress them up much.  It's fun when I can put on the bright colored diapers, and maybe some baby legs to go with them. 

Do you find them harder, easier or the same to use as compared to disposables?
I wouldn't say harder, just maybe a little more time consuming. But not much.  They take a little planning ahead for outings, etc.. and so you don't run out of clean ones!

Do you have any funny cloth diapering stories to share?
I can't think of a thing!  Probably since I've only been doing it for a few months...

What is your cloth diapering routine?
I keep a wet bag in my baby's room, and another small one out in our living area that I empty into the big one ever night.  Every 2-3 days, or whenever I almost run out, I wash them.  I have a very old, very ghetto washer and dryer..... so I run one cold wash with soap, one hot wash with soap, and one short warm rinse.  Then I throw everything in the dryer.  If the timing is right I hang dry them outside, but since I am usually washing at night, they go in the dryer.  
 
Do you have any tricks, shortcuts or fun information about cloth diapering?
A tip if you are diapering two kids at once.... buy one size diapers!  Both my BG and Flips are super easy to size quickly.  It makes it easier to just be able to grab a diaper for whichever kid needs it and put it on without trying to find a specific size.   


What is a must have when you are cloth diapering?
I love my combo wet/dry bag from Planet Wise.  It has a pocket for clean diapers, and a wet bag pocket for the dirty ones.  Makes my life SO much easier!  
 
How is the husband handling the cloth diapers?
He is doing well, as long as I handle the majority of it, but that was our plan from the beginning.  He is very supportive of my decision, a bit slow to convince but once he saw how easy they are he was all for it.  

Have you had any funny comments when cloth diapering?
Not funny comments, mostly everyone is just really interested in it.  Friends, family, etc.. just want to know how they work.  They want to know why I made the switch.  Everyone is really curious, which is great!  I love to show them off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make the day happy, please join in on the talk!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home